Sunday, January 23, 2011

I Won't Worry My Life Away...January 18, 2010

"The remedy is the experience.
This is a dangerous liaison
I say the comedy is that it's serious.
This is a strange enough new play on words
I say the tragedy is how you're gonna spend
The rest of your nights with the light on
So shine the light on all of your friends
When it all amounts to nothing in the end."

It's rare enough that I start these things off with quotes from others, however I find it a bit amusing that I have chosen once again to quote Jason Mraz when sitting down to write. Perhaps in a few days when I compile one of my playlists entitled "The Soundtrack of my Life" I'll likely lean heavily on Mr. Mraz, and revel in the thought provoking variations in his performances, and juxtapose it with something that allows me to revel in the thoughtless noise I find myself occassionally drawn to. And no, I didn't have to look up the word 'juxtapose'. Despite the ditzy exterior I'm actually smart.

I think perhaps I will not wax poetic as I did last night. At least not for the duration. But then again that is so often the intention, and so seldom the reality. Let us commence with this journey, and see where we end up this evening. Afraid? Don't be. I can at times surprise you, just keep an open mind...those are far more fun to play with.

I find myself drawn to thoughts on people and perceptions. How we behave, interact, and observe each other. The perceptions others have of me, and the fact that I am in reality so far opposite of what they believe me to be, that the looks of shock and awe on their face when they get a peek beneath the surface are truly interesting to behold. Despite evidence to the contrary, I'm quite intelligent. Humble to the extent that I don't draw attention to it, but also sly enough to let people think what they want. If someone wants to be of the rather mistaken impression that I am stupid, or unobservant, so much the better. For me.

When people believe you aren't or don't pay attention, or that you don't or can't remember anything about what they say around you, they pretty well treat you like you're a prop in the background. People have made the mistake of thinking I'm just standing in for a shrub before and it's royally bitten them in the ass. These people I came to realize are the people you have to watch out for every day of your life, because they are the ones who believe that they are the only important on in any given scenario. So, you're probably sitting there wondering where this is going? Having started with a nice quote from an artist I respect and I launch into a tirade, you must be wondering where I'm going with this. I told you. Keep your mind open. You know by now if you've read enough of my works that I always find my way to my point. "It isn't the destination that matters. It's the journey." I take my time, but don't worry. I won't abuse the faith you show me when you read this start to finish.

Things I've observed when people don't think I'm watching are revelations that make me see a different side to everyone I surround myself with. Social situations, or one on one. I see much. I observe all. And I sometimes smile to myself, or I feel my heart break just that little bit, over things that if I were asked about them, I would make some excuse. My observations of people in these circumstances, I treat as though they were treasured secrets they themselves have told me. I would never betray a friend's confidence regarding a deep secret. Or even someone I don't like...I would keep their secrets because of the faith they show me in unwittingly allowing me to see beyond their facade.

I have learned that the most confident person among us can appear to be more vulnerable when the spotlight isn't on them. That not all is as it seems under the veneer of happiness, and that as hard as others try to mask it, I can see their hearts breaking, or hardening from the pain. That the quietest among us are often lost to their thoughts, and the least confident are waiting for that sign that tells them "You too can be strong." The loudest amongst us are trying to hide something about themselves, to distract from the reality of themselves, and those not careful enough to avoid the redirect will go right along with it. (For the record, I'm one of the loud ones. I know it. I accept it. And when it bites me in the ass, I know I have only myself to blame.) The duality of our natures is what makes us each unique. Good/Bad. Light/Dark. Whatever your flavour, there are two brands. Sometimes we induldge in both. Sometimes we don't. But whether we know it or not, or accept it or not, we're each made up of opposites.

A favourite process of mine is sifting through the opposites, and seeing how they make up people. And no, this isn't a deconstruction of my friends and family for an objective third party psychoanalysis. This is my way of getting to know them better, and to know them completely. People have mentioned they have a hard time keeping secrets from me, because I either know what they're trying to hide, or when they try to surprise me, it ends in failure, because I'm expecting it. I apologize for this frustration, but take it as a sign that I actually care. It's true. I'm not easily surprised. Nor am I easily shocked. And for as vapid as I seem...I'm always thinking. My mind is always active. Thoughts range from music, to movies, to art, to friends, to family, to myself, to the future and to the past. To the good that I am, and the evil I could be.

To the experience.

To the future that fills me with no fear of what lurks in the dark corners of the experiences that I will endure and over come. I will face the darkness, and I'll be damned if I'm the one who blinks first. My friends are why I hold no fear. My light is my own, but those I choose to surround myself with are reflections of my light, and hold a light of their own. In my core, I am my own strength. I am not filled with such hubris that I know I can hold the line on my own against the future bullshit...nor am I naive enough to believe there will be no bullshit in the future. I'm not a stupid fellow. But I look to my friends for support, and I hold trust in them that when the moment comes and I need to lean on them, I will not find myself alone. That when I need a reminder on why I'm doing something, they will be there. And that when they think they are all alone, I hope they know that I am never far.

So once again, the thought train has reached it's destination. A bit more erratic I think, but that tends to happen more and more when I find myself able to write more frequently. More thoughts jumble up than I can express in one sitting and they all fight for dominance. In good time, I will expose my brain pan to the light of day again. So until that day when we see what spills out, and what happens when I give the contents a swirl, I leave you to think on yourselves. Your duality. Revel in it. Enjoy it. Know that you are made of distinctions, and that they are wonderous.

No comments:

Post a Comment